2021 On OlderGay.Men
Posted Jan 01, 2022 10:54PM UTC
Happy New Year! I hope you've had safe-but-joyous holidays with loved ones near(but not too near), and that 2022 has better days in store.
I sat down today to look back on what we did last year, and was happy with a lot of what I saw. Some highlights:
- One of our members who's a lawyer offered to weigh in on the problems older gay men face.
- We were hit with our first round of spam accounts. And our second. Thanks to everyone who's taken advantage of spam reporting to help us shut down problems as quickly as we can. We're working behind the scenes to flag more junk messages and head them off before they reach you.
- We added second homes and travel plans. If you divide your time between two locations, you can add them both and get updates in the newsletter of what's happening in each place. If you're just making a trip somewhere, you can add it to your profile and, hopefully, make some new friends while you're in town.
- To facilitate such connections, you can schedule a meetup where you're headed or close to home.
- You can now upload batches of photos at once.
- I questioned everything.
- We started noting who's in pictures and opened a members gallery.
Then things went sideways. My partner had a few rough months, and my plans for the last quarter were pushed to the next. He's still tottering between health and crisis. He went back to the hospital Wednesday with congestive heart failure, and I just brought him home this afternoon.
So I'm still in maintenance mode, carving out what time I can for the site between caregiving duties. On the bright side, last year's unfulfilled plans leave plenty of excitement for 2022. And some of what I did starting last spring was predicated on the belief that the world was opening again. That was before Delta, before Omicron. Let's hope that this is the year these features will start paying off.
All the best to everyone for prosperous and contented days ahead.